Generic Name and Formulations:
Nabumetone 500mg, 750mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Nabumetone:
Rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis.
Initially 1g once daily; max 2g/day in 1 or 2 divided doses. Renal insufficiency (CrCl 30–49mL/min): initial max 750mg once daily, may increase to 1.5g/day; (CrCl <30mL/min): initial max 500mg once daily, may increase to 1g/day.
Aspirin allergy. 3rd trimester pregnancy. Coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
Advanced renal disease: not recommended. History of upper GI disease or other ulcer risk. Cardiovascular disease. Renal or severe hepatic impairment. Fluid retention. Heart failure. Hypertension. Asthma. Monitor BP, renal and hepatic function. Discontinue if hepatic dysfunction or skin rash occurs. Monitor hemoglobin or hematocrit if signs of anemia occur. Avoid sun, UV light. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Renal toxicity potentiated with diuretics. May potentiate lithium. May antagonize ACE inhibitors. Monitor oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin). Caution with methotrexate.
GI bleeding or upset, edema, photosensitivity, dry mouth, dizziness, headache, fatigue, sweating, insomnia, nervousness, somnolence, rash (discontinue if occurs), pruritus, tinnitus. See literature re: risk of cardiovascular events.
Formerly known under the brand name Relafen.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments