Generic Name and Formulations:
Nabumetone 500mg, 750mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Nabumetone:
Rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis.
Initially 1g once daily; max 2g/day in 1 or 2 divided doses. Renal insufficiency (CrCl 30–49mL/min): initial max 750mg once daily, may increase to 1.5g/day; (CrCl <30mL/min): initial max 500mg once daily, may increase to 1g/day.
Aspirin allergy. 3rd trimester pregnancy. Coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
Advanced renal disease: not recommended. History of upper GI disease or other ulcer risk. Cardiovascular disease. Renal or severe hepatic impairment. Fluid retention. Heart failure. Hypertension. Asthma. Monitor BP, renal and hepatic function. Discontinue if hepatic dysfunction or skin rash occurs. Monitor hemoglobin or hematocrit if signs of anemia occur. Avoid sun, UV light. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Renal toxicity potentiated with diuretics. May potentiate lithium. May antagonize ACE inhibitors. Monitor oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin). Caution with methotrexate.
GI bleeding or upset, edema, photosensitivity, dry mouth, dizziness, headache, fatigue, sweating, insomnia, nervousness, somnolence, rash (discontinue if occurs), pruritus, tinnitus. See literature re: risk of cardiovascular events.
Formerly known under the brand name Relafen.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling