Generic Name and Formulations:
Busulfan 2mg; tabs.
Indications for MYLERAN:
Palliative treatment of chronic myelogenous leukemia.
Remission induction: 4–8mg/day or 60micrograms/kg or 1.8mg/m2, daily. Reserve doses >4mg/day for severe cases. Reduce dose or discontinue at first sign of reduced bone marrow reserve. Discontinue before leukocyte count normalizes; see literature. Normal leukocyte counts usually achieved in 12–20 weeks. If remission <3 months, maintenance therapy of 1–3mg/day may be advisable.
Remission induction: 60micrograms/kg or 1.8mg/m2, daily. Reduce dose or discontinue at first sign of reduced bone marrow reserve. Discontinue before leukocyte count normalizes. Normal leukocyte counts usually achieved in 12–20 weeks. See literature.
Confirm diagnosis. Monitor hepatic and bone marrow function. Obtain CBCs and differential weekly; monitor for anemia. Previously compromised bone marrow (irradiation, chemotherapy). Seizure disorder or risk. Head trauma. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Myelosuppression increased with other myelosuppressives. Increased pulmonary toxicity with other cytotoxic drugs. Potentiated by itraconazole, cyclophosphamide (see literature). May be antagonized by phenytoin. Hepatotoxicity possible with long-term continuous thioguanine therapy. Caution with drugs that lower seizure threshold.
See literature. Bone marrow suppression (eg, pancytopenia, anemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, aplastic anemia), pulmonary toxicity, cellular dysplasia, malignant tumors, acute leukemias, cardiac tamponade (esp. in thalassemia), hyperpigmentation, adrenal insufficiency, seizures, hepatic veno-occlusive disease, infection (eg, pneumonia, sepsis), mucositis, myasthenia gravis, gonadal suppression, rash; rare: cataracts, bronchopulmonary dysplasia (discontinue if occurs).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children
- Addressing the Uncertainties of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program for Medical School Graduates