Generic Name and Formulations:
Busulfan 2mg; tabs.
Indications for MYLERAN:
Palliative treatment of chronic myelogenous leukemia.
Remission induction: 4–8mg/day or 60micrograms/kg or 1.8mg/m2, daily. Reserve doses >4mg/day for severe cases. Reduce dose or discontinue at first sign of reduced bone marrow reserve. Discontinue before leukocyte count normalizes; see literature. Normal leukocyte counts usually achieved in 12–20 weeks. If remission <3 months, maintenance therapy of 1–3mg/day may be advisable.
Remission induction: 60micrograms/kg or 1.8mg/m2, daily. Reduce dose or discontinue at first sign of reduced bone marrow reserve. Discontinue before leukocyte count normalizes. Normal leukocyte counts usually achieved in 12–20 weeks. See literature.
Confirm diagnosis. Monitor hepatic and bone marrow function. Obtain CBCs and differential weekly; monitor for anemia. Previously compromised bone marrow (irradiation, chemotherapy). Seizure disorder or risk. Head trauma. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Myelosuppression increased with other myelosuppressives. Increased pulmonary toxicity with other cytotoxic drugs. Potentiated by itraconazole, cyclophosphamide (see literature). May be antagonized by phenytoin. Hepatotoxicity possible with long-term continuous thioguanine therapy. Caution with drugs that lower seizure threshold.
See literature. Bone marrow suppression (eg, pancytopenia, anemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, aplastic anemia), pulmonary toxicity, cellular dysplasia, malignant tumors, acute leukemias, cardiac tamponade (esp. in thalassemia), hyperpigmentation, adrenal insufficiency, seizures, hepatic veno-occlusive disease, infection (eg, pneumonia, sepsis), mucositis, myasthenia gravis, gonadal suppression, rash; rare: cataracts, bronchopulmonary dysplasia (discontinue if occurs).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder