Generic Name and Formulations:
Tropicamide 0.5%, 1%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for MYDRIACYL:
For mydriasis and cycloplegia for diagnostic procedures.
Adults and Children:
For refraction: instill 1–2 drops of 1% soln in the eye(s); repeated in 5 minutes. An additional drop may be instilled if patient is not seen within 20–30 minutes. For examination of fundus: instill 1–2 drops of 0.5% soln 15 or 20 minutes prior to exam. Lacrimal sac should be compressed by digital pressure for 2–3 minutes after instillation to reduce excessive systemic absorption.
Remove contact lenses before use. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May interfere with antihypertensive action of carbachol, pilocarpine, or ophthalmic cholinesterase inhibitors.
Ocular (eg, stinging, blurred vision, photophobia, superficial punctuate keratitis, transient elevation of intraocular pressure), dry mouth, tachycardia, headache, allergic reactions, GI upset, pallor, CNS disturbances (esp. in children).
Soln 0.5%—15mL; 1%—3mL, 15mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders