Generic Name and Formulations:
Rifabutin 150mg; hard-gel caps.
Indications for MYCOBUTIN:
Prevention of disseminated Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) disease in advanced HIV infection.
≥18yrs: 300mg once daily. If inclined to GI upset, may give 150mg twice daily with food. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min), concomitant amprenavir, indinavir, or nelfinavir: reduce rifabutin dose by 50%. Concomitant ritonavir, fosamprenavir/ritonavir, lopinavir/ritonavir, saquinavir/ritonavir, tipranavir/ritonavir: reduce rifabutin dose by 75% (to max 150mg every other day or 3 times per week).
<18yrs: not established.
Active tuberculosis: do not administer. Evaluate and test for tuberculosis before and during therapy; treat with combination antituberculosis regimen if active disease occurs. Suspend therapy if uveitis is suspected. Do hematologic tests periodically. May stain body secretions and contact lenses. Moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant delavirdine, voriconazole: not recommended. Antagonizes dapsone, sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim, zidovudine, oral contraceptives (change or use additional nonhormonal birth control methods) or drugs that are metabolized by CYP3A enzymes (eg, itraconazole, clarithromycin, saquinavir, posaconazole). Potentiated by CYP3A inhibitors (eg, fluconazole, clarithromycin, posaconazole).
Discolored urine, GI upset, abdominal pain, dyspepsia, fever, myalgia, rash, taste perversion, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia; rare: myositis, uveitis.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV