Generic Name and Formulations:
Alprostadil 125mcg, 250mcg, 500mcg, 1000mcg; urethral suppository.
Indications for MUSE:
Supervise titration. Initially 125–250mcg inserted in urethra after urination; adjust dose in stepwise manner on separate occasions; max 2 supps/day.
Urethral stricture. Balanitis. Severe hypospadias and curvature. Acute or chronic urethritis. Predisposition to venous thrombosis (eg, sickle cell anemia or trait). Hyperviscosity syndrome. Patients for whom sexual activity is inadvisable or contraindicated. If partner is pregnant, use condom; if partner is of childbearing age, use contraception.
Exclude reversible causes. Hypotension. Bleeding disorders. Priapism. Pregnancy (Cat.C): see Contraindications.
Effect attenuated by drugs that interfere with erectile function (eg, decongestants). Caution with anticoagulants.
Penile, urethral, or testicular pain, urethral burning, minor urethral bleeding/spotting, dizziness, hypotension, flu symptoms, rhinitis, others. Infrequent: priapism. Partners: vaginal burning/itching.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder