Generic Name and Formulations:
Dronedarone 400mg; tabs.
Indications for MULTAQ:
To reduce the risk of hospitalization for atrial fibrillation (AF) in patients in sinus rhythm with a history of paroxysmal or persistent atrial fibrillation.
≥18yrs: 400mg twice daily (AM & PM) with meals.
<18yrs: not established.
Permanent AF (normal sinus rhythm will not or cannot be restored). Symptomatic heart failure (HF) with recent decompensation requiring hospitalization or NYHA Class IV HF. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block or sick sinus syndrome, unless paced. Bradycardia (<50bpm). Concomitant strong CYP3A inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, voriconazole, cyclosporine, telithromycin, clarithromycin, nefazodone, ritonavir). Concomitant agents that can cause QTc prolongation (eg, phenothiazines, tricyclics, certain oral macrolide antibiotics, Class I and III antiarrhythmics). Liver or lung toxicity related to previous amiodarone use. QTc Bazett interval ≥500ms. PR interval >280ms. Severe hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.X) (use effective contraception). Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of death, stroke, or HF in decompensated HF or permanent AF. Monitor cardiac rhythm every 3 months during therapy; discontinue or cardiovert if AF is detected. Ensure appropriate antithrombotic therapy before starting. Discontinue if worsening HF develops and requires hospitalization or if pulmonary toxicity is confirmed. Monitor hepatic enzymes during 1st 6 months of therapy; discontinue if hepatic injury develops. Maintain normal serum K+ and Mg2+ levels. Monitor renal function periodically.
See Contraindications. Avoid concomitant antiarrhythmics, rifampin, other CYP3A inducers (eg, phenobarbital, carbamazepine, phenytoin, St. John's wort), grapefruit juice. Consider discontinuing digoxin; if continued, reduce digoxin dose by ½, and monitor. Avoid doses >10mg once daily of simvastatin. Reduce dose and monitor Ca+ channel blockers, β-blockers (bradycardia), other CYP2D6 substrates. Verapamil, diltiazem increase dronedarone levels. Dronedarone increases verapamil, diltiazem, nifedipine levels. May potentiate dabigatran and other P-gP substrates, some statins, sirolimus, tacrolimus, other narrow-therapeutic range CYP3A substrates: adjust dose and monitor. Monitor other CYP3A or CYP2D6 substrates (eg, SSRIs, tricyclics). Monitor INR with warfarin.
Diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, asthenia; increased serum creatinine, liver injury, QT prolongation, interstitial lung disease, heart failure, hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia.
Hepatic (CYP3A); >98% protein bound.
Fecal (primarily), renal.
Tabs—60, 180, 500
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder