Generic Name and Formulations:
Difenoxin HCl 1mg, atropine sulfate 0.025mg; tabs.
Bausch Health Companies Inc.
Indications for MOTOFEN:
Adjunctive therapy in the management of acute nonspecific diarrhea and acute exacerbations of chronic functional diarrhea.
Initially 2mg, then 1mg after each loose stool or 1mg every 3–4 hours as needed. Max 8mg/24hrs. Discontinue use if no improvement after 48hrs.
Diarrhea associated with organisms that penetrate the intestinal mucosa (eg, toxigenic E. coli, Salmonella species, Shigella) and pseudomembranous colitis associated with broad spectrum antibiotics. Children <2yrs old. Jaundice.
Monitor fluid and electrolyte balance. Withhold dose if severe dehydration or electrolyte imbalance occurs. Acute ulcerative colitis; discontinue if abdominal distention occurs or if other untoward symptoms develop. Advanced hepatorenal disease or abnormal liver function tests; hepatic coma may be precipitated. Children with Down's syndrome. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Opioid + anticholinergic.
Avoid in patients in whom anticholinergic drugs are contraindicated. Hypertensive crisis possible with concomitant MAOIs. May potentiate barbiturates, tranquilizers, narcotics, alcohol; monitor.
GI upset, dry mouth, epigastric distress, constipation, dizziness, drowsiness, headache, tiredness, nervousness, insomnia, confusion.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Panel Recommends Earlier Body Weight Monitoring in Use of Mood Stabilizers
- Nondaily Cigarette Use Increasing Among Individuals With Mental Health, Substance Use Disorders
- Cesarean Delivery, Early Childhood Antibiotic Use Not Associated With Risk for ADHD
- Uncertainty as a Form of Violence: Current Immigration Policy and Crisis
- FDA Gets Tough on Juul, Other Electronic Cigarette Makers