Generic Name and Formulations:
Difenoxin HCl 1mg, atropine sulfate 0.025mg; tabs.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for MOTOFEN:
Adjunctive therapy in the management of acute nonspecific diarrhea and acute exacerbations of chronic functional diarrhea.
Initially 2mg, then 1mg after each loose stool or 1mg every 3–4 hours as needed. Max 8mg/24hrs. Discontinue use if no improvement after 48hrs.
Diarrhea associated with organisms that penetrate the intestinal mucosa (eg, toxigenic E. coli, Salmonella species, Shigella) and pseudomembranous colitis associated with broad spectrum antibiotics. Children <2yrs old. Jaundice.
Monitor fluid and electrolyte balance. Withhold dose if severe dehydration or electrolyte imbalance occurs. Acute ulcerative colitis; discontinue if abdominal distention occurs or if other untoward symptoms develop. Advanced hepatorenal disease or abnormal liver function tests; hepatic coma may be precipitated. Children with Down's syndrome. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid in patients in whom anticholinergic drugs are contraindicated. Hypertensive crisis possible with concomitant MAOIs. May potentiate barbiturates, tranquilizers, narcotics, alcohol; monitor.
Opioid + anticholinergic.
GI upset, dry mouth, epigastric distress, constipation, dizziness, drowsiness, headache, tiredness, nervousness, insomnia, confusion.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders