The risk for mood disorders increases with the more sugar consumed from beverages and food.
A significant improvement in depressive symptoms was measured using validated rating scales.
Of the estimated 38.6 million patients who have a mental health disorder, 7.2 million of them use prescription opioids
Children with celiac disease are at a 1.4-fold increased risk for psychiatric disorders.
John Kane, MD, considers prevention and treatment approaches for mood disorders.
Available data on ketamine use are limited and risks should be considered before its use.
Therapeutic response to antidepressants is highly variable, which may be partially due to associated side effects.
Methods to prevent depression could help reduce the disease burden for both affected persons and society.
The researchers proposed integrating mental health screening and treatment into pediatric cardiology care.
Dose escalation may be a proxy for loss of control or undetected abuse known to be associated with depression.
Many dialysis patients also do not wish to receive aggressive treatment for their depression.
Anything that has the potential to disturb the serotonin signaling process has the potential to result in a wide variety of malformations.
Altered reward sensitivity may be an indicator of depression in preschool-aged children.
Women in the menopausal transition and early postmenopause are at higher risk for depressive symptoms and negative mood than those in late postmenopause.
Fear and anxiety showed the strongest correlation with development of major depression in children.
Hundreds of active pilots manage depressive symptoms without the possibility of treatment due to fear of negative career impact.
There is no conclusive benefit to switching to a new antidepressant during nonresponse.
Self-care tools can reduce depressive symptoms in patients with age-related macular degeneration (AMD) or diabetic retinopathy (DR).
1 in 6 US adults take a psychiatric medication to treat conditions such as depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
Group psychoeducation is a low-cost psychological intervention with specific clinical benefits in early bipolar disorder, if the focus of care is preventing future mania relapse and improving self-management, interpersonal function, and support.
The Mood Zoom questionnaire asks users to rate anxiety, elation, sadness, anger, irritability, and energy on a 7-point Likert scale
The number of AEDs and seizure frequency also influenced depression in people with epilepsy.
Research findings support continuation of ECT plus medication in a depressed elderly population.
Researchers found that the hallucinogenic drug relieves depression and anxiety quickly, and that the effect can last for months.
Migraine was more significantly associated with muscle soreness or pain than anxiety disorders in patients with MDD.
Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation of the right secondary somatosensory motor cortex produces relief from chronic neuropathic orofacial pain.
Because much of the previous research in this subject area has focused on the suicide risk of one disorder, little is known about risk of suicide across multiple disorders or in general medical conditions with psychiatric comorbidities.
The ADA released detailed guidelines for psychosocial assessments and care based on factors including age, type of diabetes, and family support system.
A significant gender effect was observed in the cohort, but the mechanism behind it remains unclear.
No studies to date have evaluated psychotherapy approaches in people with lupus and comorbid depression.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Early Detection Markers of Alzheimer's Disease Possibly Identified
- Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Inferior to Escitalopram
- Illicit Cannabis Use Among Adults Up Due to Medical Marijuana Laws
- Memory Training Opportunities Exist for Patients With Schizophrenia
- APA: Medical Discrimination Based on Size Psychologically, Physically Harms Patients
- Criteria For Identification of Smartphone Addiction
- Bipolar Disorder: Childhood Trauma Modulates Impact on Amygdala, Hippocampus
- Psychiatric Evaluations: Questions on Suicide Need to Be Rephrased
- Subsequent Suicide Attempts May Be Reduced by Emergency Department Interventions
- Elevated Levels of Childhood Adversity in Patients with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Widespread Pain
- Prescription Opioid Misuse Remains a Persistent Problem
- Revised Treatment Guidelines for Pediatric Acute Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome
- Long-term Response to Prophylactic Mood Stabilizers in Bipolar Disorder
- Medically Supervised Withdrawal, an Option for Pregnant Women Addicted to Opioids
- Navigating the Thin Line Between Identification & Intimacy With Patients