Asenapine decreases the time to recurrence of manic and depressive episodes among patients with bipolar I disorder.
Early adherence is an especially problematic, significant and modifiable barrier to quality care for depression.
Lithium is the only medication to demonstrate an antisuicidal effect over and above its action on mood episodes in bipolar disorder.
Researchers examined whether the risk of relapse or time to relapse was related to type of anxiety disorder, duration of previous treatment, and other factors.
Making mental health predictions based on clinical presentation has major limitations.
Researchers from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center have discovered the cellular receptor that causes weight gain from antipsychotic drugs.
Combination treatment may provide relief from the distinctive symptoms of severe, recurrent temper outbursts and persistent irritability.
Scores for both anxiety and depression are associated with low BMD.
In young adults, MDD, GAD, and SSRI use is associated with bone metabolism.
Ketamine dosing continues to raise safety concerns.
The risk for mood disorders increases with the more sugar consumed from beverages and food.
A significant improvement in depressive symptoms was measured using validated rating scales.
Of the estimated 38.6 million patients who have a mental health disorder, 7.2 million of them use prescription opioids
Children with celiac disease are at a 1.4-fold increased risk for psychiatric disorders.
John Kane, MD, considers prevention and treatment approaches for mood disorders.
Available data on ketamine use are limited and risks should be considered before its use.
Therapeutic response to antidepressants is highly variable, which may be partially due to associated side effects.
Methods to prevent depression could help reduce the disease burden for both affected persons and society.
The researchers proposed integrating mental health screening and treatment into pediatric cardiology care.
Dose escalation may be a proxy for loss of control or undetected abuse known to be associated with depression.
Many dialysis patients also do not wish to receive aggressive treatment for their depression.
Anything that has the potential to disturb the serotonin signaling process has the potential to result in a wide variety of malformations.
Altered reward sensitivity may be an indicator of depression in preschool-aged children.
Women in the menopausal transition and early postmenopause are at higher risk for depressive symptoms and negative mood than those in late postmenopause.
Fear and anxiety showed the strongest correlation with development of major depression in children.
Hundreds of active pilots manage depressive symptoms without the possibility of treatment due to fear of negative career impact.
There is no conclusive benefit to switching to a new antidepressant during nonresponse.
Self-care tools can reduce depressive symptoms in patients with age-related macular degeneration (AMD) or diabetic retinopathy (DR).
1 in 6 US adults take a psychiatric medication to treat conditions such as depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
Group psychoeducation is a low-cost psychological intervention with specific clinical benefits in early bipolar disorder, if the focus of care is preventing future mania relapse and improving self-management, interpersonal function, and support.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder