Researchers found that women who use hormonal contraception have an increased risk for first use of an antidepressant and first diagnosis of depression.
Patients with comorbid bipolar disorder and ADHD may benefit from methylphenidate treatment, if it can be done without incurring the risk of mania.
Intra-subject variability in reaction time (ISVRT) is viewed as a promising behavioral endophenotype for bipolar disorder.
By using the Washington Early Recognition Center Affectivity and Psychosis (WERCAP) questionnaire, investigators accurately predicted bipolar disorder or schizophrenia in more than 85% of patients.
Approximately 80% of depressive episodes have their onset during the first six months following traumatic brain injury.
Pupillary reactivity to emotional stimuli has been investigated to provide objective information about the risk for recurrence of depressive symptoms in women.
Lower diversity of microbial populations in the human gut has been identified in individuals with major depressive disorder.
Findings suggest that in families with 2 generations of direct progenitors with bipolar disorder, an increase in bipolar disorder severity in future generations is likely.
Researchers assessed pain, depression, anxiety, and stress in patients with chronic pain and rheumatoid arthritis.
Treatment initiated in the early stages of bipolar disorder was found more effective than treatment in later stages.
Dr. Roger McIntyre suggests that the clinical relevance of cognitive dysfunction for any individual patient can only be adjudicated on a case-by-case basis.
Researchers investigated the lasting effects of whole body hyperthermia (WBH) in the first randomized, double-blind, [placebo]-controlled study of WBH for the treatment of MDD.
Dysfunction across several cognitive domains is often concomitant with depression.
"Detecting depression in the emergency department is of utmost importance," Dr. Brickman and colleagues wrote in their publication.
The registry contains more than 10,000 EEGs and 38,000 pharmacological outcomes, and is accessible to clinicians worldwide.
Brain-derived Neurotrophic Factor and its Precursor proBDNF as Diagnostic Biomarkers for Mood DisordersSeptember 12, 2016
mBDNF/proBDNF ratio could potentially serve as a novel biomarker for mood disorders.
It is hypothesized that multiple single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) work together to influence risk of complex neuropsychiatric disorders such as depression.
Insights from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013
The immune system dysregulation may lead to or exacerbate neuropsychiatric conditions such as bipolar disorder.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Low-Dose Dexmedetomidine Reduces Postoperative Delirium in Older Patients
- Lithium Side Effects for Bipolar Disorder Lead to Lower Prescription Rates
- First-Episode Schizophrenia Approaches Aided by Guidelines Instrument
- Predictors of Favorable Outcomes in First-Episode Psychosis Without Medication
- Patient Perception of Provider Engagement Impacts Progress
- Suicide Prevention and Intervention: Cross-Cultural Perspectives
- Antipsychotic Switching in Schizophrenia: Immediate vs Gradual Discontinuation
- Bipolar Disorder Monotherapy Treatment Approved
- Slightly Higher HIV Screening in Patients With Severe Mental Illness
- Treating Pain in Depression May Improve Cognitive, Functional Outcomes