Moexipril HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Moexipril HCl 7.5mg, 15mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Moexipril HCl:
Take 1 hr before meals. Initially and if not on diuretics: 7.5mg once daily; usual range 7.5–30mg/day in 1–2 divided doses. If on diuretic: suspend diuretic for 2–3 days before starting therapy; resume diuretic if BP not controlled by moexipril alone. If diuretic cannot be discontinued: initially 3.75mg once daily. CrCl ≤40mL/min: initially 3.75mg once daily; max 15mg/day.
History of ACEI-associated or other angioedema. Concomitant aliskiren in patients with diabetes.
Fetal toxicity may develop; discontinue if pregnancy is detected. Hepatic impairment. Renal impairment: monitor for worsening renal function. Hypovolemia. Correct salt/volume depletion before starting therapy. CHF. Renal artery or aortic stenosis. Cerebrovascular or ischemic heart disease. Diabetes. Dialysis (esp. high-flux membrane). Surgery. Monitor WBCs in collagen vascular disease. Discontinue if angioedema, laryngeal edema, jaundice or markedly elevated liver enzymes occurs. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D); monitor. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Dual inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system with ARBs, ACEIs, or aliskiren may increase risk of hypotension, hyperkalemia, renal function changes; monitor closely. Concomitant aliskiren in renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min): not recommended. Hyperkalemia with K+ supplements, K+ sparing diuretics, K+ containing salt substitutes. Excessive hypotension with diuretics. May be antagonized by, and renal toxicity potentiated by NSAIDs (including COX-2 inhibitors): monitor renal function in elderly and/or volume-depleted. May increase lithium levels; monitor. Nitritoid reactions with concomitant injectable gold (eg, sodium aurothiomalate); rare.
Cough, dizziness, diarrhea, flu syndrome, fatigue, pharyngitis, flushing, rash, myalgia; angioedema (eg, intestinal), hyperkalemia, hyponatremia; rare: hepatic failure.
Formerly known under the brand name Univasc.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?