Mild Cognitive Impairment
These data indicate that cortisol levels may contribute to the cognitive decline observed in elderly adults with late-life depression.
These findings have high clinical relevance because patients with apathy are likely to withdraw from care.
In the previous SPRINT study, researchers compared an intensive BP reduction strategy (target systolic BP <120 mmHg) vs standard BP reduction strategy (target systolic BP <140 mmHg).
Adults with depressive symptoms and apathy in middle and late life were at a higher risk for conversion to mild cognitive impairment (MCI) and dementia.
Using hearing aids may slow cognitive decline in later life.
The researchers noted that automated tests should not be used alone, but should instead be used as part of a comprehensive evaluation that must include clinical judgment and involve traditional assessor-guided cognitive batteries.
Primary hyperparathyroidism may be linked to lower intracerebral vasomotor reactivity, which could lead to cognitive dysfunction.
Most research to date has focused on the association between depression and dementia, but not many studies were performed to investigate the link between anxiety and dementia.
The effects of aggregate genetic AD risk are detectable before symptoms appear, even early in life.
Administration time for cognitive assessment screenings is currently suboptimal in many clinical settings.
While scientists have long known that tau is involved in dementia, the way in which it hinders cognitive function has remained uncertain.
There was improvement in cognitive performance and brain function in those who took the blueberry powder.
Metabolic syndrome was linked to increased incidence of mild cognitive impairment and progression to dementia.
Mice repeatedly exposed to an aggressive intruder had a difficult time remembering locations in a previously mastered maze.
Increasing weight loss, BMI from midlife to late life may be marker for mild cognitive impairment.
For adults, mild cognitive issues that may develop over time are unrelated, researchers say.
Those who had 2 to 3 alcoholic drinks a day had a 77% lower risk of dying during the study period than those who had 1 or fewer drinks a day.
Research identifies link between high levels of perceived stress and mild cognitive impairment.
Participants' cardiorespiratory fitness improved by about 8%, and the greater the fitness improvements, the more growth in the cortical layer.
Larger brain size could be linked to reduced risk of cognitive impairment.
Higher risk for older individuals who never or rarely consume coffee, and those who increased amount.
Among those with mild cognitive impairment, women's cognitive abilities deteriorated twice as quickly as men.
In patients with mild cognitive impairment, a holistic, multidisciplinary intervention improved attention, concentration, and problem solving.
People with mild cognitive impairment who also have another psychiatric symptom, such as depression, more than twice as likely to develop dementia.
Virtual reality games can identify mild cognitive impairment with accuracy similar to neuropsychological tests.
Intellectual stimulation in life may reduce the risk of developing cognitive impairment, such as dementia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Cardioprotective Treatment May Reduce Adverse Effects in Schizophrenia
- The Challenges of Identifying Biomarkers of Psychiatric Illness
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Oral Therapy for Suicidal Bipolar Depression Gets Breakthrough Designation
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Updates in Borderline Personality Disorder: Your Questions Answered
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Shame Drives Suicidal Ideation Among Veterans With PTSD
- Long-term Healthy Diet Associated With Greater Hippocampal Volumes
- FDA to Ban Most Flavored Electronic Cigarettes
- Predictors of CBT Outcomes Identified in Youths With Anxiety Disorders
- Happy Childhood Memories Associated With Better Health
- FDA Launches MyStudies Mobile App in Effort to Increase Access to Real World Patient Data
- Heart Rate Variability Predicts Treatment Response in Anxious Depression