Generic Name and Formulations:
Dihydroergotamine mesylate 4mg/mL (0.5mg/spray); nasal spray; contains caffeine.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for MIGRANAL:
Acute treatment of migraine.
1 spray in each nostril, repeat 15 minutes later; max 6 sprays/24 hrs and 8 sprays/wk.
Ischemic heart disease. Coronary artery vasospasm (eg, Prinzmetal's angina) or myocardial ischemia. Peripheral artery disease. Sepsis. Post-vascular surgery. Uncontrolled hypertension. Other significant cardiovascular disease. Severely impaired hepatic or renal function. Basilar or hemiplegic migraine. Concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, nelfinavir, indinavir, erythromycin, clarithromycin, troleandomycin, ketoconazole, itraconazole) or other vasoconstrictors. Within 24 hours of other ergot-type drugs or 5-HT1 agonists. Pregnancy (Cat.X). Nursing mothers.
Confirm diagnosis. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, and consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary disease (eg, postmenopausal women, men over age 40, hypercholesterolemia, hypertension, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Compromised circulation. Elderly.
Other ergots, 5-HT1 agonists, potent CYP3A4 inhibitors, other vasoconstrictors: see Contraindications. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, protease inhibitors, macrolides, azole antifungals, saquinavir, nefazodone, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, grapefruit juice, zileuton), propranolol, nicotine.
Rhinitis, pharyngitis, dysgeusia, local reactions (congestion, burning sensation, dryness, paresthesia, epistaxis, pain), GI disturbances, dizziness, somnolence; myocardial and peripheral vascular ischemia or vasoconstriction (ergotism: discontinue if occurs).
Nasal spray—8 units (vial + sprayer)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders