Generic Name and Formulations:
Dihydroergotamine mesylate 4mg/mL (0.5mg/spray); nasal spray; contains caffeine.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for MIGRANAL:
Acute treatment of migraine.
1 spray in each nostril, repeat 15 minutes later; max 6 sprays/24 hrs and 8 sprays/wk.
Ischemic heart disease. Coronary artery vasospasm (eg, Prinzmetal's angina) or myocardial ischemia. Peripheral artery disease. Sepsis. Post-vascular surgery. Uncontrolled hypertension. Other significant cardiovascular disease. Severely impaired hepatic or renal function. Basilar or hemiplegic migraine. Concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, nelfinavir, indinavir, erythromycin, clarithromycin, troleandomycin, ketoconazole, itraconazole) or other vasoconstrictors. Within 24 hours of other ergot-type drugs or 5-HT1 agonists. Pregnancy (Cat.X). Nursing mothers.
Confirm diagnosis. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, and consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary disease (eg, postmenopausal women, men over age 40, hypercholesterolemia, hypertension, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Compromised circulation. Elderly.
Other ergots, 5-HT1 agonists, potent CYP3A4 inhibitors, other vasoconstrictors: see Contraindications. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, protease inhibitors, macrolides, azole antifungals, saquinavir, nefazodone, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, grapefruit juice, zileuton), propranolol, nicotine.
Rhinitis, pharyngitis, dysgeusia, local reactions (congestion, burning sensation, dryness, paresthesia, epistaxis, pain), GI disturbances, dizziness, somnolence; myocardial and peripheral vascular ischemia or vasoconstriction (ergotism: discontinue if occurs).
Nasal spray—8 units (vial + sprayer)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease