Generic Name and Formulations:
Midodrine HCl 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Midodrine:
Symptomatic orthostatic hypotension.
Take during the day while upright; allow at least 4 hours between last dose and bedtime. 10mg 3 times daily at 3–4 hour intervals. Renal dysfunction: initially 2.5mg 3 times daily. Discontinue if no improvement after initial therapy.
Severe heart disease. Acute renal disease. Urinary retention. Pheochromocytoma. Thyrotoxicosis. Persistent, excessive supine hypertension.
Initial supine systolic pressure >180mmHg: not recommended. Monitor supine and sitting BP. Discontinue if supine hypertension occurs. Diabetes. Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant drugs that increase BP (eg, phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, dihydroergotamine, thyroid hormones, droxidopa); if unavoidable, monitor BP closely. Avoid concomitant MAO inhibitors or linezolid. Potentiated by sodium-retaining steroids (eg, fludrocortisone acetate); caution in increased intraocular pressure with fludrocortisone. Antagonized by α-antagonists (eg, prazosin, terazosin, doxazosin). Levels may be affected by renally-excreted alkaline drugs (eg, metformin, cimetidine, ranitidine, procainamide, triamterene, flecainide, quinidine). Cardiac glycosides, β-blockers, CNS drugs may cause bradycardia, AV block, arrhythmias; discontinue if bradycardia occurs.
Paresthesia, piloerection, dysuria, pruritus, supine hypertension, chills, pain, rash.
Formerly known under the brand name Proamatine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age