Generic Name and Formulations:
Midodrine HCl 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Midodrine:
Symptomatic orthostatic hypotension.
Take during the day while upright; allow at least 4 hours between last dose and bedtime. 10mg 3 times daily at 3–4 hour intervals. Renal dysfunction: initially 2.5mg 3 times daily. Discontinue if no improvement after initial therapy.
Severe heart disease. Acute renal disease. Urinary retention. Pheochromocytoma. Thyrotoxicosis. Persistent, excessive supine hypertension.
Initial supine systolic pressure >180mmHg: not recommended. Monitor supine and sitting BP. Discontinue if supine hypertension occurs. Diabetes. Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant drugs that increase BP (eg, phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, dihydroergotamine, thyroid hormones, droxidopa); if unavoidable, monitor BP closely. Avoid concomitant MAO inhibitors or linezolid. Potentiated by sodium-retaining steroids (eg, fludrocortisone acetate); caution in increased intraocular pressure with fludrocortisone. Antagonized by α-antagonists (eg, prazosin, terazosin, doxazosin). Levels may be affected by renally-excreted alkaline drugs (eg, metformin, cimetidine, ranitidine, procainamide, triamterene, flecainide, quinidine). Cardiac glycosides, β-blockers, CNS drugs may cause bradycardia, AV block, arrhythmias; discontinue if bradycardia occurs.
Paresthesia, piloerection, dysuria, pruritus, supine hypertension, chills, pain, rash.
Formerly known under the brand name Proamatine.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder