Generic Name and Formulations:
Midodrine HCl 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Midodrine:
Symptomatic orthostatic hypotension.
Take during the day while upright; allow at least 4 hours between last dose and bedtime. 10mg 3 times daily at 3–4 hour intervals. Renal dysfunction: initially 2.5mg 3 times daily. Discontinue if no improvement after initial therapy.
Severe heart disease. Acute renal disease. Urinary retention. Pheochromocytoma. Thyrotoxicosis. Persistent, excessive supine hypertension.
Initial supine systolic pressure >180mmHg: not recommended. Monitor supine and sitting BP. Discontinue if supine hypertension occurs. Diabetes. Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant drugs that increase BP (eg, phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, dihydroergotamine, thyroid hormones, droxidopa); if unavoidable, monitor BP closely. Avoid concomitant MAO inhibitors or linezolid. Potentiated by sodium-retaining steroids (eg, fludrocortisone acetate); caution in increased intraocular pressure with fludrocortisone. Antagonized by α-antagonists (eg, prazosin, terazosin, doxazosin). Levels may be affected by renally-excreted alkaline drugs (eg, metformin, cimetidine, ranitidine, procainamide, triamterene, flecainide, quinidine). Cardiac glycosides, β-blockers, CNS drugs may cause bradycardia, AV block, arrhythmias; discontinue if bradycardia occurs.
Paresthesia, piloerection, dysuria, pruritus, supine hypertension, chills, pain, rash.
Formerly known under the brand name Proamatine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders