MICROGESTIN 1/20 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Norethindrone acetate 1mg, ethinyl estradiol 20mcg (21 tabs).
Mayne Pharma US
Indications for MICROGESTIN 1/20:
28-day products: 1 tab daily for 28 days; repeat. 21-day products: 1 tab daily for 21 days, then 7 tablet-free days; repeat.
Thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders. History of DVT, cerebrovascular or coronary artery disease. Known or suspected breast carcinoma, endometrial or other estrogen-dependent neoplasia. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Cholestatic jaundice of pregnancy or jaundice with prior OC use. Hepatic adenoma or carcinoma. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Cigarette smoking increases risk of serious cardiovascular events.
Increased risk of cardiovascular events esp. in cigarette smokers >35yrs of age; not recommended. Discontinue if thrombotic event, unexplained visual changes, jaundice, or headache/migraine occurs, and at least 4 weeks before through 2 weeks after surgery associated with increased risk of thromboembolism, and during and after prolonged immobilization. Cardio- or cerebrovascular diseases. Gallbladder disease. Obesity. Diabetes. Prediabetes. Hypertriglyceridemia. Depression. Conditions aggravated by fluid retention; monitor. Evaluate significant changes in headaches, irregular uterine bleeding, amenorrhea, retinal vein thrombosis. Monitor BP. Do regular complete physical exams. May need barrier contraception with Sunday starts or postpartum use (see full labeling). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Progestin + estrogen.
Antagonized by hepatic enzyme inducing drugs (eg, rifampin, griseofulvin, St. John's wort), possibly others. May affect measurement of sex hormone-binding globulin levels.
Hypertension, nausea, vomiting, breakthrough bleeding, amenorrhea, transient delay of ovulation after discontinuation, edema, chloasma, mastodynia, headache, intolerance to contact lenses. Increased risk of gallbladder disease, thromboembolic disorders.
Packs (Fe 1/20, Fe 1.5/30)—3, 6; Packs (1/20, 1.5/30)—6
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children