MIACALCIN INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcitonin-salmon 200 IU/mL; soln for SC or IM inj.
Indications for MIACALCIN INJECTION:
Paget's disease of bone. Hypercalcemia. Postmenopausal osteoporosis in women >5yrs postmenopausal.
Give by IM inj across multiple sites if total dose >2mL. Paget's: 100 IU SC or IM daily. Hypercalcemia: initially 4 IU/kg SC or IM every 12hrs, may increase after 1–2 days to 8 IU/kg every 12hrs, and then after 2 more days to max 8 IU/kg every 6hrs. Postmenopausal osteoporosis: 100 IU SC or IM daily.
Correct hypocalcemia and other mineral metabolism disorders before initiating; monitor serum calcium and hypocalcemia symptoms during therapy. Increased risk of malignancies. Consider periodic exams of urine sediment; serum alkaline phosphatase and urinary hydroxyproline in Paget's. Postmenopausal osteoporosis: supplement diet with calcium 1g/day and Vit.D 400 IU/day. Re-evaluate periodically. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
May antagonize lithium (consider lithium dose adjustment).
Nausea, vomiting, local inflammation, flushing, rash; hypersensitivity reactions, anaphylaxis, hypocalcemia, antibody formation.
Multi-dose vials (2mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders