Generic Name and Formulations:
Methyl aminolevulinate 16.8%; crm.
Galderma Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for METVIXIA:
For treatment of thin and moderately thick, non-hyperkeratotic, non-pigmented actinic keratoses of the face and scalp in immunocompetent patients, in combination with Aktilite CL128 lamp red light illumination.
See literature. Surface of lesion should be prepared before applying. Use nitrile gloves. Apply a layer of cream about 1mm thick to lesion and surrounding 5mm of normal skin. Do not apply more than 1g (half tube) per treatment session. Cover area with occlusive, non-absorbent dressing for 3 hours. Multiple lesions may be treated during the same session. Remove occlusive dressing and clean area with saline and gauze. Position Aktilite CL128 lamp. Required illumination time: 7–10 minutes. Keep area covered and away from light for at least 48 hours after. Two treatment sessions one week apart should be administered. Assess lesion response 3 months after the last treatment session.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Cutaneous photosensitivity. Porphyrin, peanut, or almond oil allergy.
Do not apply to eyes, mucous membranes. Avoid exposure to sunlight or bright indoor light during the period prior to Aktilite red light treatment. If red light treatment cannot be administered, remove cream and protect skin from sunlight or intense light for two days. Coagulation defects. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Additive photosensitivity possible with concomitant photosensitizing agents.
Erythema, pain, burning and discomfort, pruritus, scabbing, crusting and erosions, edema and exfoliation of skin.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease