Generic Name and Formulations:
Methyl aminolevulinate 16.8%; crm.
Galderma Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for METVIXIA:
For treatment of thin and moderately thick, non-hyperkeratotic, non-pigmented actinic keratoses of the face and scalp in immunocompetent patients, in combination with Aktilite CL128 lamp red light illumination.
See literature. Surface of lesion should be prepared before applying. Use nitrile gloves. Apply a layer of cream about 1mm thick to lesion and surrounding 5mm of normal skin. Do not apply more than 1g (half tube) per treatment session. Cover area with occlusive, non-absorbent dressing for 3 hours. Multiple lesions may be treated during the same session. Remove occlusive dressing and clean area with saline and gauze. Position Aktilite CL128 lamp. Required illumination time: 7–10 minutes. Keep area covered and away from light for at least 48 hours after. Two treatment sessions one week apart should be administered. Assess lesion response 3 months after the last treatment session.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Cutaneous photosensitivity. Porphyrin, peanut, or almond oil allergy.
Do not apply to eyes, mucous membranes. Avoid exposure to sunlight or bright indoor light during the period prior to Aktilite red light treatment. If red light treatment cannot be administered, remove cream and protect skin from sunlight or intense light for two days. Coagulation defects. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Additive photosensitivity possible with concomitant photosensitizing agents.
Erythema, pain, burning and discomfort, pruritus, scabbing, crusting and erosions, edema and exfoliation of skin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age