Generic Name and Formulations:
Metyrapone 250mg; caps.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for METOPIRONE:
Diagnostic drug for testing hypothalamic-pituitary ACTH function.
Single-dose short test: 30mg/kg (max 3g) at midnight with yogurt or milk. Blood sample for assay taken early the following morning. Give prophylactic dose of cortisone acetate 50mg. Multiple-dose test: Testing done over 6-day period. Administer 750mg every 4 hours for 6 doses on Day 5. See literature for results interpretation.
Single-dose short test: 30mg/kg (max 3g) at midnight with yogurt or milk. Blood sample for assay taken early the following morning. Give prophylactic dose of cortisone acetate 50mg. Multiple-dose test: Testing done over 6-day period. Administer 15mg/kg every 4 hours for 6 doses on Day 5. A minimum single dose of 250mg is recommended. See literature for results interpretation.
Adrenal cortical insufficiency.
May induce acute adrenal insufficiency in patients with reduced adrenal secretory capacity. Hypo- or hyperthyroidism. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Discontinue drugs affecting pituitary and adrenocortical function prior to and during testing. May be antagonized by phenytoin; test may be inaccurate in patients taking phenytoin 2 weeks prior. Subnormal response with estrogen therapy. May potentiate acetaminophen toxicity.
Adrenal corticosteroid synthesis inhibitor.
Hypotension, GI upset, abdominal pain, headache, dizziness, sedation, rash; rare: decreased WBC, bone marrow depression.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder