Generic Name and Formulations:
Metyrapone 250mg; caps.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for METOPIRONE:
Diagnostic drug for testing hypothalamic-pituitary ACTH function.
Single-dose short test: 30mg/kg (max 3g) at midnight with yogurt or milk. Blood sample for assay taken early the following morning. Give prophylactic dose of cortisone acetate 50mg. Multiple-dose test: Testing done over 6-day period. Administer 750mg every 4 hours for 6 doses on Day 5. See literature for results interpretation.
Single-dose short test: 30mg/kg (max 3g) at midnight with yogurt or milk. Blood sample for assay taken early the following morning. Give prophylactic dose of cortisone acetate 50mg. Multiple-dose test: Testing done over 6-day period. Administer 15mg/kg every 4 hours for 6 doses on Day 5. A minimum single dose of 250mg is recommended. See literature for results interpretation.
Adrenal cortical insufficiency.
May induce acute adrenal insufficiency in patients with reduced adrenal secretory capacity. Hypo- or hyperthyroidism. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Discontinue drugs affecting pituitary and adrenocortical function prior to and during testing. May be antagonized by phenytoin; test may be inaccurate in patients taking phenytoin 2 weeks prior. Subnormal response with estrogen therapy. May potentiate acetaminophen toxicity.
Adrenal corticosteroid synthesis inhibitor.
Hypotension, GI upset, abdominal pain, headache, dizziness, sedation, rash; rare: decreased WBC, bone marrow depression.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders