Generic Name and Formulations:
Methyltestosterone 10mg; caps, tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Methyltestosterone:
In males, primary and secondary hypogonadism, delayed puberty.
Adults and Children:
Usually 10–50mg daily. Delayed puberty: use low dose and limit duration to 4–6 months.
Male breast or prostate carcinoma. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Discontinue if jaundice, abnormal liver function, hypercalcemia, or edema occurs. Cardiac, hepatic, or renal dysfunction. Monitor hepatic function, blood, and bone age. Elderly. Young children. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate oral anticoagulants, oxyphenbutazone. May alter insulin needs.
Peliosis hepatis, premature epiphyseal closure in adolescents, edema, hepatic carcinoma, prostatic hypertrophy or carcinoma, gynecomastia, priapism, oligospermia, nausea, jaundice, hirsutism, virilization, male pattern baldness, acne, polycythemia, headache, anxiety, depression, paresthesias, altered libido, fluid and electrolyte disturbances, suppression of clotting factors, increased serum cholesterol.
Formerly known under the brand names Android or Methitest.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders