Methyldopa/Hydrochlorothiazide Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Methyldopa, hydrochlorothiazide; 250mg/15mg, 250mg/25mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Methyldopa/Hydrochlorothiazide Tablets:
Titrate individual components. Initially one 250mg/15mg tab 2–3 times daily or one 250mg/25mg tab 2 times daily.
Active hepatic disease. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy. History of methyldopa-associated liver dysfunction. Concomitant MAOIs.
History of hepatic dysfunction. Pheochromocytoma. Severe cerebrovascular or renal disease. SLE. Gout. Diabetes. Asthma. Edema. Dialysis. Postsympathectomy. Monitor blood, liver function, blood lipids, and electrolytes. Surgery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
MAOIs (see Contraindications). Alcohol, CNS depressants may increase orthostatic hypotension. May increase toxicity of diazoxide, digitalis and lithium. May antagonize oral hypoglycemics. Antagonized by NSAIDs, iron. May interfere with parathyroid tests.
Central alpha agonist + diuretic.
Hemolytic anemia, fever, jaundice, hepatic necrosis, granulocytopenia, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, blurred vision, sedation, headache, asthenia, orthostatic hypotension, bradycardia, GI upset, rash, nasal congestion, hyperprolactinemia, arthralgia, positive Coomb's test.
Formerly known under the brand name Aldoril.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder