Generic Name and Formulations:
Methyldopa 125mg, 250mg, 500mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Methyldopa:
Initially 250mg 2–3 times daily; titrate at intervals of at least 2 days. Concomitant antihypertensives other than thiazides: initial max 500mg/day. Maintenance: 500mg–2g/day in 2–4 divided doses; max 3g/day.
Initially 10mg/kg per day in 2–4 divided doses; max 65mg/kg or 3g daily (whichever is less).
Active hepatic disease. History of methyldopa-associated liver dysfunction. Concomitant MAOIs.
Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Pheochromocytoma. Severe cerebrovascular disease. Monitor blood and liver function. Discontinue if fever, jaundice, liver dysfunction, worsening edema or heart failure occurs. Surgery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
MAOIs: see Contraindications. Antagonized by oral iron preps: not recommended. May potentiate antihypertensives, general anesthetics, lithium. May interfere with lab tests.
Central alpha agonist.
Sedation, headache, asthenia, orthostatic hypotension, bradycardia, edema, GI upset, rash, nasal congestion, arthralgia, amenorrhea, hyperprolactinemia, gynecomastia, pancreatitis, impotence, decreased libido, CNS effects, eosinophilia, liver dysfunction, jaundice, (+) Coombs test, hemolytic anemia; rarely: fatal hepatic necrosis, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand name Aldomet.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder