Generic Name and Formulations:
Methylergonovine maleate 0.2mg; tabs.
Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for METHERGINE:
Following delivery of the placenta, for routine management of uterine atony, hemorrhage, and subinvolution of the uterus. For control of uterine hemorrhage in the second stage of labor following delivery of the anterior shoulder.
0.2mg 3–4 times a day in the puerperium for max 1 week.
Hypertension. Toxemia. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Avoid intra-arterial, periarterial injection. Coronary artery disease or risk factors; may be more susceptible to developing MI and infarction associated with methylergonovine-induced vasospasm. Sepsis. Obliterative vascular disease. Hepatic or renal disease. 2nd stage of labor. Nursing mothers: not recommended (wait at least 12hrs after last dose before initiating or resuming feeding).
Potentiated by vasoconstrictors, other ergot alkaloids, prostaglandins, beta-blockers. Potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, macrolides, protease inhibitors, reverse transcriptase inhibitors, azole antifungals): not recommended. Use caution with less potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, saquinavir, nefazodone, fluconazole, grapefruit juice, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, zileuton, clotrimazole). Antagonized by strong inducers of CYP3A4 (eg, nevirapine, rifampicin), anesthetics (eg, halothane, methoxyflurane). Antagonizes glyceryl trinitrate, other antianginal drugs.
Hypertension associated with seizure and/or headache, hypotension, abdominal pain, GI upset; rare: cardiovascular effects (eg, vasoconstriction, acute MI, transient chest pains).
Tabs—7, 12, 28, 100; Inj (1mL amps)—20
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age