METADATE CD CII
Generic Name and Formulations:
Methylphenidate HCl 10mg, 20mg, 30mg, 40mg, 50mg, 60mg; ext-rel caps (contains immediate-release + ext-rel beads); contains sucrose.
Indications for METADATE CD:
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Adults and Children:
Take before breakfast. Swallow whole or sprinkle contents onto applesauce (swallow immediately); do not crush, chew, or divide beads. <6yrs: not established. ≥6yrs: initially 20mg once daily, may increase weekly by 10–20mg/day; max 60mg once daily.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Marked anxiety, tension, agitation. Glaucoma. Motor tics. Tourette's syndrome in patient or family. Severe hypertension. Angina. Cardiac arrhythmias. Heart failure. Recent MI. Hyperthyroidism. Thyrotoxicosis. Surgery.
History of drug dependence or alcoholism; monitor for abnormal behavior. Increased risk of sudden death, stroke, and MI; assess for presence of cardiac disease before initiating. Avoid in known structural cardiac abnormalities, cardiomyopathy, serious arrhythmias, coronary artery disease, and other cardiac problems. Pre-existing psychotic disorder. Bipolar disorder; screen for risk before initiation. Consider discontinuing if new psychotic/manic symptoms occur. Monitor for new or worsening aggressive behavior or hostility. Seizure disorder. Peripheral vasculopathy, including Raynaud's Phenomenon; monitor for digital changes. Monitor growth (esp. children), BP, HR, CBCs, differential, platelet counts. Reduce dose or discontinue if paradoxical aggravation of symptoms occur. Reevaluate periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Avoid alcohol. Caution with pressor agents. May potentiate anticonvulsants (eg, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), oral anticoagulants, tricyclics, SSRIs, phenylbutazone. May be affected by agents that alter urinary pH. Risk of serotonin syndrome with serotonergic drugs.
Headache, anorexia, abdominal pain, insomnia, dizziness, nervousness; priapism, hypertension, tachycardia, visual disturbances.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children