METADATE CD CII
Generic Name and Formulations:
Methylphenidate HCl 10mg, 20mg, 30mg, 40mg, 50mg, 60mg; ext-rel caps (contains immediate-release + ext-rel beads); contains sucrose.
Indications for METADATE CD:
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Adults and Children:
Take before breakfast. Swallow whole or sprinkle contents onto applesauce (swallow immediately); do not crush, chew, or divide beads. <6yrs: not established. ≥6yrs: initially 20mg once daily, may increase weekly by 10–20mg/day; max 60mg once daily.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Marked anxiety, tension, agitation. Glaucoma. Motor tics. Tourette's syndrome in patient or family. Severe hypertension. Angina. Cardiac arrhythmias. Heart failure. Recent MI. Hyperthyroidism. Thyrotoxicosis. Surgery.
History of drug dependence or alcoholism; monitor for abnormal behavior. Increased risk of sudden death, stroke, and MI; assess for presence of cardiac disease before initiating. Avoid in known structural cardiac abnormalities, cardiomyopathy, serious arrhythmias, coronary artery disease, and other cardiac problems. Pre-existing psychotic disorder. Bipolar disorder; screen for risk before initiation. Consider discontinuing if new psychotic/manic symptoms occur. Monitor for new or worsening aggressive behavior or hostility. Seizure disorder. Peripheral vasculopathy, including Raynaud's Phenomenon; monitor for digital changes. Monitor growth (esp. children), BP, HR, CBCs, differential, platelet counts. Reduce dose or discontinue if paradoxical aggravation of symptoms occur. Reevaluate periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Avoid alcohol. Caution with pressor agents. May potentiate anticonvulsants (eg, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), oral anticoagulants, tricyclics, SSRIs, phenylbutazone. May be affected by agents that alter urinary pH. Risk of serotonin syndrome with serotonergic drugs.
Headache, anorexia, abdominal pain, insomnia, dizziness, nervousness; priapism, hypertension, tachycardia, visual disturbances.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records