Generic Name and Formulations:
Atovaquone 750mg/5mL; susp; citrus flavor.
Indications for MEPRON:
Treatment of mild to moderate Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP) in patients intolerant to trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX). Prevention of PCP in patients intolerant to TMP/SMX.
Take with food. Treatment: 750mg twice daily for 21 days. Prophylaxis: 1500mg once daily.
See full labeling.
GI disorders or inability to take with food. Monitor in severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Antagonized by rifampin. Caution with other highly protein-bound drugs.
Rash, headache, GI upset, dyspnea, cough, rhinitis, infection, fever, elevated liver enzymes, insomnia, asthenia, oral moniliasis, pruritus, sinusitis, anorexia, depression, myalgia, pancreatitis, thrombocytopenia, allergic reactions.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder