Generic Name and Formulations:
Menotropins (follicle-stimulating hormone 75 IU + luteinizing hormone 75 IU); per vial; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for MENOPUR:
Stimulation of multiple follicles in ovulatory patients undergoing Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART) who have previously received pituitary suppression.
Individualize. Use lowest effective dose. Initially 225 IU SC inj daily for 5 days starting on Day 2 or 3 of cycle; or, may be given in combination with Bravelle (total initial dose: max 225 IU [Menopur 150 IU + Bravelle 75 IU; or Menopur 75 IU + Bravelle 150 IU]). Adjust dose based on response in increments of up to 150 IU at intervals of at least 2 days; max 450 IU daily; usual max 20 days. Induce final maturation/ovulation of follicles with hCG (see Precautions).
Primary ovarian failure. Uncontrolled non-gonadal endocrinopathies (eg, thyroid, adrenal, pituitary). Undiagnosed abnormal uterine bleeding. Ovarian cysts or enlargement. Tumor of pituitary, hypothalamus, breast, ovary, or uterus. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Do complete gynecological and endocrinological exam first. Risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS); monitor for at least 2 weeks after hCG administration. Discontinue if severe OHSS occurs; consider hospitalization (see full labeling). Abnormal ovarian enlargement; monitor ovarian response and/or measure serum estradiol levels. Do not give hCG if abnormally enlarged ovaries on last day of Menopur therapy to reduce OHSS development. Increased risk of thromboembolic events in severe obesity, thrombophilia, pregnancy, personal or family history of thrombosis. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Abdominal cramps/pain, abdomen enlarged, headache, nausea, inj site reactions; ovarian enlargement or cysts, OHSS, thromboembolic events, ovarian torsion, multi-fetal gestation and birth, ectopic pregnancy, spontaneous abortion, ovarian neoplasms, risk of congenital malformations, hypersensitivity reactions.
Vials—5 (w. diluent)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder