MAXITROL OPH OINT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Neomycin 3.5mg, polymyxin B sulfate 10000Units/g, dexamethasone 0.1%.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for MAXITROL OPH OINT:
Ocular inflammation associated with infection.
Small amount of ointment 3–4 times daily. Ointment may be used adjunctively with drops at bedtime. Then prolong dosing interval as condition improves; max 8g per therapeutic course.
Fungal, viral, or mycobacterial infections of the cornea and conjunctiva. Hypersensitivity to corticosteroids.
Not for injection. Corneal or scleral thinning. Glaucoma. Monitor for secondary infections and intraocular pressure in prolonged use. Aminoglycoside cross-sensitivity; discontinue if hypersensitivity develops. May mask signs of acute purulent or parasitic infection. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Antibiotics + steroid.
Allergic sensitization, increased intraocular pressure, cataracts, corneal perforation, optic nerve damage, visual defects, delayed wound healing, bleb formation, allergic dermatitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders