Generic Name and Formulations:
Procarbazine (as HCl) 50mg; caps.
Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for MATULANE:
Stage III and IV Hodgkin's disease as part of the MOPP (nitrogen mustard, vincristine, procarbazine, prednisone) regimen.
Initially 2–4mg/kg per day for the first week, then 4–6mg/kg per day until max response is obtained or until WBCs <4,000cells/mm3 or platelets <100,000cells/mm3. Maintain at 1–2mg/kg per day once max response attained. In MOPP regimen: 100mg/m2 daily for 14 days.
Individualize. Initially 50mg/m2 per day for the first week, then 100mg/m2 per day until max response is obtained or leukopenia or thrombocytopenia occurs. Maintain at 50mg/m2 per day once max response attained.
Inadequate marrow reserve.
Discontinue if CNS effects (eg, paresthesias, neuropathies, confusion), leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, hypersensitivity reactions, stomatitis, diarrhea, hemorrhage or bleeding tendencies occur. Hepatic or renal impairment. Obtain baseline CBCs with differential, hemoglobin, hematocrit, reticulocytes, platelets prior to therapy, then monitor at least every 3–4 days. Do renal and hepatic function tests before starting therapy, then repeated weekly. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid sympathomimetics, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline, imipramine), foods with high tyramine content (eg, wine, yogurt, ripe cheese, bananas). CNS depression with barbiturates, antihistamines, narcotics, hypotensive agents, phenothiazines. Disulfiram-like reactions with alcohol. Separate radiation or other myelosuppressives by at least 1 month (allow for bone marrow recovery).
Leukopenia, anemia, thrombopenia, GI upset, bleeding tendencies, CNS effects, dysphagia, anorexia, abdominal pain, hypotension, tachycardia, syncope, cough, alopecia, dermatitis, pain, others.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling