Generic Name and Formulations:
Isocarboxazid 10mg; scored tabs.
Indications for MARPLAN:
Initially 10mg twice daily. May increase by 10mg every 2–4 days up to 40mg daily. If tolerated, may increase by 20mg/week to max 60mg/day divided into 2–4 doses.
<16yrs: Not recommended.
See Interactions. Pheochromocytoma. Cardiovascular, cerebrovascular, or liver disease. Hypertension. Chronic headache. To avoid potentially severe or fatal interactions, allow sufficient drug-free interval (see literature) between isocarboxazid and sympathomimetics (eg, amphetamines, pseudoephedrine), tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline, clomipramine), SSRIs or other neurotransmitter reuptake inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine), maprotiline, CNS depressants (eg, alcohol, barbiturates, narcotics), antihistamines, antihypertensives (eg, guanethidine), anesthetics, bupropion, buspirone, carbamazepine, cyclobenzaprine, dibenzazepines, diuretics, dextromethorphan, dopamine, other MAOIs (eg, phenelzine, selegiline, furazolidone, tranylcypromine), levodopa, methyldopa, methylphenidate, phenylalanine, tryptophan-, dopamine-, tyrosine-, or tyramine-containing foods, excess caffeine or chocolate. Meperidine within 3 weeks of isocarboxazid.
Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults; monitor all patients for clinical worsening or unusual behavioral changes. Screen for risk of bipolar disorder prior to initiation. Mania/hypomania. Psychosis. Epilepsy. Hyperthyroidism. Surgery. Schizophrenia. Discontinue if palpitations or headache occurs, 48hrs before to 24hrs after myelography, or at 1st sign of jaundice or hepatic dysfunction. Avoid abrupt cessation. Hypotension. Monitor BP and observe patient frequently. May mask anginal pain or aggravate anxiety or agitation. Renal impairment. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Hypertensive crises with sympathomimetics, levodopa, and high-tyramine foods (eg, cheese, salami, chocolate, wine, beer, pickled herring, chicken livers, yeast extract, yogurt, broad beans). Caution with antidiabetic agents, antiparkinson agents, disulfiram. Potentiates CNS depressants, antihypertensives. Psychosis with dextromethorphan. Circulatory collapse, coma, death with meperidine. Do not start within 5wks of fluoxetine, 10 days of buspirone, or 2wks of sertraline, paroxetine, bupropion or citalopram, or 1wk of venlafaxine discontinuance.
Orthostatic hypotension, hypertensive crises, dizziness, headache, dry mouth, GI disturbances, blurred vision, akathisia, ataxia, black tongue, coma, dysuria, euphoria, hematologic changes, incontinence, photosensitivity, seizures, changes in blood sugar.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders