Results indicate a need for providers to ask depressed patients about their marijuana use.
A rise in overdose deaths is associated with overprescribing of opioid analgesic medications.
Fewer people believe marijuana is harmful.
Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main psychoactive chemical ingredient in cannabis.
The report also sheds light on the most significant predictors of substance abuse.
The increased use of synthetic cannabinoids presents a serious public health threat.
Alterations in reward processing may increase users' risk of continued drug use and subsequent addiction.
Chronic and severe cannabis-dependence is associated with deficits in striatal dopamine release.
Marijuana use is associated with development of various neuropsychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia, anxiety, and depression.
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main active chemical ingredient found in cannabis and is a potent cannabinoid receptor (CB)-1 agonist.
Prolonged cannabis use is a risk factor for periodontal disease.
Study links heavy cannabis use in male teens to increased mortality by age 60.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Transference in the Age of #MeToo: What Counts as Harassment From a Patient?
- Should Physicians Treat Family and Friends? Three Experts Weigh In
- Influence of Psychostimulants on BMI and Height in Youth With ADHD
- Medication Adherence Predictors in Patients With Severe Psychiatric Disorders
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Effective in Reducing Suicide Attempts, Self-Harm in Adolescents
- Court-Mandated Substance Abuse Treatment: Exploring the Ethics and Efficacy
- ADHD Treatments
- Esketamine Nasal Spray: A New Treatment Possibility for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Pharmacogenetics in Psychiatry: Promising Developments and Potential Pitfalls
- Substance Abuse and Primary Psychosis: A Closer Look
- Functional Restoration for Chronic Pain and Depression in the Elderly: Pharmacotherapy and Beyond
- Efficacy of Long-Acting Injectable Antipsychotics vs Oral Antipsychotics
- Older Age Associated With Worse Major Depressive Disorder Outcomes
- Preoperative Psychiatric Diagnoses Not Associated With Bariatric Surgery Outcomes
- Medical Clearance of Psych Patients in the ED: Consensus Recommendations