Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydroxyprogesterone caproate 250mg/mL; for deep IM inj; contains castor oil, benzyl benzoate.
Indications for MAKENA:
To reduce risk of preterm birth in women with a singleton pregnancy who have a history of singleton spontaneous preterm birth. Limitation of use: not intended for use in women with multiple gestations or other risk factors for preterm birth.
Begin treatment between 16 weeks 0 days and 20 weeks 6 days gestation. Inject slowly (over 1 min or longer) into upper outer quadrant of gluteus maximus. 250mg IM once weekly. Continue until Week 37 (through 36 weeks, 6 days) of gestation or delivery, whichever comes first.
<16yrs: not established.
Current or history of thrombosis or thromboembolic disorders. Known, suspected, or history of breast or other hormone-sensitive cancers. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Cholestatic jaundice of pregnancy. Hepatic adenoma or carcinoma. Active hepatic disease. Uncontrolled hypertension.
Conditions aggravated by fluid retention (eg, preeclampsia, epilepsy, migraine, asthma, cardiac or renal dysfunction). Monitor prediabetes, diabetes, and depression. Discontinue if depression, thromboembolic events or allergic reactions occur. Reevaluate if jaundice or hypertension occurs. Hepatic impairment. Not for use in stopping active preterm labor or for use in postmenopausal women. Pregnancy (Cat.B) (limited data on 1st trimester use). Nursing mothers: not recommended; discontinue at 37 weeks or upon delivery.
Inj site reactions (pain, swelling, pruritus, nodule), urticaria, nausea, diarrhea; pregnancy-related fetal and maternal complications.
Single-dose vial (1mL)—1; Multidose vial (5mL)—1 (contains preservative benzyl alcohol)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder