Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitrofurantoin macrocrystals 25mg, 50mg, 100mg; caps.
Indications for MACRODANTIN:
Take with food. 50–100mg 4 times daily for at least 7 days. Long-term use: 50–100mg at bedtime.
Take with food. <1 month: not recommended. ≥1 month: 5–7mg/kg per day in 4 divided doses for at least 7 days. Long-term use: 1mg/kg per day in 1–2 divided doses.
Anuria, oliguria, CrCl <60mL/min. Neonates <1 month of age. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy at term. History of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction associated with nitrofurantoin.
Not for treating pyelonephritis or perinephric abscesses. Discontinue if pulmonary reactions, hepatic disorders, or hemolysis occurs. Renal insufficiency; monitor (esp. in elderly). G6PD or Vit. B deficiency. Anemia. Diabetes. Electrolyte imbalance. Monitor renal function and pulmonary condition in long-term use. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Reduced absorption by magnesium trisilicate. Uricosurics (eg, probenecid, sulfinpyrazone) may inhibit tubular secretion. May cause false (+) glucose test with Benedict's or Fehling's solution.
Nausea, headache, dizziness, anorexia, alopecia; C. diff-associated diarrhea, pulmonary disorders, hepatic damage, hemolytic anemia, peripheral neuropathy (may be irreversible), anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias; rare: exfoliative dermatitis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, aplastic anemia.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments