Generic Name and Formulations:
Tranexamic acid 650mg; tabs.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for LYSTEDA:
Cyclic heavy menstrual bleeding.
Treat for up to 5 days during menses. Swallow whole. ≥18yrs: Normal renal function (serum creatinine ≤1.4mg/dL): 1300mg three times daily; Cr >1.4–2.8mg/dL: 1300mg twice daily; Cr >2.8–5.7mg/dL: 1300mg once daily; Cr >5.7mg/dL: 650mg once daily.
Premenarchal: not recommended.
Active thromboembolic (eg, DVT, PE, cerebral thrombosis). History or risk of thrombosis or thromboembolism (eg, retinal vein or artery occlusion; thrombogenic valvular disease, thrombogenic cardiac rhythm disease, hypercoagulopathy). Concomitant combination hormonal contraceptives.
Exclude endometrial pathology prior to initiation. Not for use in postmenopausal women. Discontinue immediately if retinal venous or arterial occlusion occurs. Subarachnoid hemorrhage (cerebral edema/infarction may occur). Acute promyelocytic leukemia treated with oral tretinoin (increased procoagulant effect). Renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Increased risk of thrombotic events (eg, stroke, MI) with hormonal contraceptives (esp. in obese or smokers >35yrs old), Factor IX complex concentrates, anti-inhibitor coagulant concentrates, oral tretinoin. Tissue plasminogen activators (tPAs) may decrease efficacy of both tranexamic acid and tPAs.
Headache, sinus/nasal symptoms, pain (back, abdomen, musculoskeletal, joint), muscle cramps, migraine, anemia, fatigue; visual/ocular events, severe allergic reaction, ligneous conjunctivitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling