Generic Name and Formulations:
Mitotane 500mg; scored tabs.
Indications for LYSODREN:
Inoperable adrenal cortical carcinoma.
2–6g/day in divided doses (3–4 times/day). Doses may be increased incrementally to achieve a blood concentration of 14–20mg/L, or as tolerated. Dose modifications: see full labeling.
Discontinue temporarily following shock or severe trauma. CNS toxicity (esp. with high doses). Adrenal insufficiency: give steroid replacement as clinically indicated; measure free cortisol and ACTH levels. Ovarian macrocysts in premenopausal women. Hepatic impairment. Pregnancy; avoid. Use effective contraception during and after discontinuation until mitotane levels are undetectable. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant oral anticoagulants, CYP3A4 substrates; monitor for change in dose requirements.
Adrenal cytotoxic agent.
Anorexia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, dizziness, vertigo, rash, neutropenia, growth retardation, hypothyroidism, confusion, headache, ataxia, mental impairment, weakness, dysarthria, maculopathy, hepatitis, elevated liver enzymes, gynecomastia, hypercholesterolemia, hypertriglyceridemia.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder