Generic Name and Formulations:
Mitotane 500mg; scored tabs.
Indications for LYSODREN:
Inoperable adrenal cortical carcinoma.
2–6g/day in divided doses (3–4 times/day). Doses may be increased incrementally to achieve a blood concentration of 14–20mg/L, or as tolerated. Dose modifications: see full labeling.
Discontinue temporarily following shock or severe trauma. CNS toxicity (esp. with high doses). Adrenal insufficiency: give steroid replacement as clinically indicated; measure free cortisol and ACTH levels. Ovarian macrocysts in premenopausal women. Hepatic impairment. Pregnancy; avoid. Use effective contraception during and after discontinuation until mitotane levels are undetectable. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant oral anticoagulants, CYP3A4 substrates; monitor for change in dose requirements.
Adrenal cytotoxic agent.
Anorexia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, dizziness, vertigo, rash, neutropenia, growth retardation, hypothyroidism, confusion, headache, ataxia, mental impairment, weakness, dysarthria, maculopathy, hepatitis, elevated liver enzymes, gynecomastia, hypercholesterolemia, hypertriglyceridemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders