LUPRON DEPOT-PED Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Leuprolide acetate 7.5mg, 11.25mg or 15mg; per kit; depot susp for IM inj; preservative-free.
Indications for LUPRON DEPOT-PED:
Central precocious puberty.
<2yrs: not recommended. ≥2yrs: Individualize. Give by single IM inj once a month. ≤25kg: 7.5mg; 25–37.5kg: 11.25mg; >37.5kg: 15mg; if inadequate response with starting dose, may increase to next available higher dose. Also, dose may be adjusted with changes in body weight.
Confirm diagnosis. Monitor for psychiatric symptoms. History of seizures/epilepsy, cerebrovascular disorders, CNS anomalies or tumors: risk of convulsions. Monitor hormonal effects after 1–2 months of starting therapy, with dose changes and during treatment. Depot 3-Month: monitor at months 2–3, month 6 and as needed thereafter. Measure height and bone age velocity every 6–12 months. Exclude pregnancy before treatment. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with concomitant drugs that are associated with convulsions (eg, bupropion, SSRIs).
Transient exacerbation of symptoms, inj site reactions, pain, headache, emotional lability, hot flushes/sweating, acne/seborrhea, rash, vaginitis, vaginal discharge, syncope, GI upset, gynecomastia, weight increased, mood altered; convulsions.
Depot-PED kit—1 (prefilled dual-chamber syringe w. diluent); Depot-PED 3 Month kit—1 (prefilled dual-chamber syringe w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer Disease Examined
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users