Generic Name and Formulations:
Eszopiclone 1mg, 2mg, 3mg; tabs.
Indications for LUNESTA:
Insomnia (decreased sleep latency and improved sleep maintenance).
Use lowest effective dose. ≥18yrs: Initially 1mg immediately before bedtime [take only if able to get full night's sleep (7–8hrs) before becoming active again]; may increase to 2–3mg if needed; max 3mg/dose. Elderly, debilitated, concomitant CYP3A4 inhibitors (see Interactions), or severe hepatic impairment: max 2mg/dose. Effect delayed if taken with heavy/high-fat meals.
<18yrs: not established.
Monitor for excess CNS depressant effects and impairment. Depression. Abnormal thinking and behavioral changes. Drug or alcohol abuse. Compromised respiratory function. Conditions that affect metabolism or hemodynamic response. Severe hepatic impairment. Avoid abrupt cessation. Reevaluate if unresponsive after 7–10 days of treatment. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant other sedative-hypnotics at bedtime or middle of the night: not recommended. Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants; adjust dose. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, clarithromycin, nefazodone, troleandomycin, ritonavir, nelfinavir); reduce eszopiclone dose. May be antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampicin).
Unpleasant taste, headache, somnolence, dizziness, dry mouth, infection, rash, anxiety, hallucinations, pain; complex sleep-related behaviors (eg, sleep-driving; consider discontinuing if occurs); rare: anaphylaxis, angioedema, others (see full labeling).
Tabs 1mg—30; 2mg, 3mg—100
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records