Generic Name and Formulations:
Ranibizumab 6mg/mL, 10mg/mL; soln for oph intravitreal inj; preservative-free.
Indications for LUCENTIS:
Neovascular (wet) age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Macular edema following retinal vein occlusion (RVO). Diabetic macular edema (DME). Diabetic retinopathy (DR). Myopic choroidal neovascularization (mCNV).
Give by intravitreal inj. AMD: 0.5mg once a month (approx. 28 days); or 3 monthly doses followed by less frequent dosing (less effective); or 0.5mg every 3 months after 4 monthly doses (less effective). Monitor regularly. RVO: 0.5mg once a month (approx. 28 days). DME, DR: 0.3mg once a month (approx. 28 days). mCNV: 0.5mg once a month (approx. 28 days) for up to 3 months; may retreat if needed.
Ocular or periocular infections.
Monitor intraocular pressure prior to and 30 mins after inj. Monitor for perfusion of optic nerve and for infection following the inj (endophthalmitis and retinal detachments possible). Risk of embryo-fetal toxicity. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) inhibitor.
Conjunctival hemorrhage, eye pain, vitreous floaters, increased intraocular pressure, intraocular inflammation; rare: arterial thromboembolic events, fatal events.
Single-use prefilled syringe (10mg/mL)—1; Single-use vial (6mg/mL, 10mg/mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders