Generic Name and Formulations:
Loxapine succinate 5mg, 10mg, 25mg, 50mg; caps.
Indications for LOXITANE:
Individualize. Give in divided doses, usually 2–4 times daily. Initially 10mg twice daily; severe: initially up to a total of 50mg/day. Dosage may be increased over first 7 to 10 days until effective response; usual range 60–100mg daily. Max 250mg/day. Maintenance therapy: use lowest effective dose; range 20–60mg daily.
Coma. Severe drug-induced (eg, alcohol, barbiturates, narcotics) depressed states.
Elderly (not for dementia-related psychosis; may increase risk of death). Management of behavioral complications in mental retardation patients: not recommended. History of convulsive disorders. Cardiovascular disease. Glaucoma. Urinary retention. Pre-existing low WBC or history of drug induced leukopenia/neutropenia; monitor CBCs during 1st few months of treatment. Monitor for fever and symptoms/signs of infection in patients with neutropenia; discontinue if severe (ANC<1000/mm3). Perform fall risk assessments when initiating and recurrently on long-term therapy. Neonates: risk of extrapyramidal and/or withdrawal symptoms post delivery (due to exposure during 3rd-trimester pregnancy). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant alcohol, other CNS depressants. Caution with concomitant anticholinergic-type antiparkinson, CNS-active drugs. Significant respiratory depression, stupor and/or hypotension with lorazepam.
Tardive dyskinesia, hypotension, drowsiness, insomnia, jaundice, blood dyscrasias, GI upset, may mask emetic signs of overdosage or disease, lowered seizure threshold, dermatitis, rash, hyperprolactinemia, anticholinergic effects, pigmentary retinopathy, lenticular pigmentation, extrapyramidal reactions, neuroleptic malignant syndrome (monitor).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age