Generic Name and Formulations:
Loxapine succinate 5mg, 10mg, 25mg, 50mg; caps.
Indications for LOXITANE:
Individualize. Give in divided doses, usually 2–4 times daily. Initially 10mg twice daily; severe: initially up to a total of 50mg/day. Dosage may be increased over first 7 to 10 days until effective response; usual range 60–100mg daily. Max 250mg/day. Maintenance therapy: use lowest effective dose; range 20–60mg daily.
Coma. Severe drug-induced (eg, alcohol, barbiturates, narcotics) depressed states.
Elderly (not for dementia-related psychosis; may increase risk of death). Management of behavioral complications in mental retardation patients: not recommended. History of convulsive disorders. Cardiovascular disease. Glaucoma. Urinary retention. Pre-existing low WBC or history of drug induced leukopenia/neutropenia; monitor CBCs during 1st few months of treatment. Monitor for fever and symptoms/signs of infection in patients with neutropenia; discontinue if severe (ANC<1000/mm3). Perform fall risk assessments when initiating and recurrently on long-term therapy. Neonates: risk of extrapyramidal and/or withdrawal symptoms post delivery (due to exposure during 3rd-trimester pregnancy). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant alcohol, other CNS depressants. Caution with concomitant anticholinergic-type antiparkinson, CNS-active drugs. Significant respiratory depression, stupor and/or hypotension with lorazepam.
Tardive dyskinesia, hypotension, drowsiness, insomnia, jaundice, blood dyscrasias, GI upset, may mask emetic signs of overdosage or disease, lowered seizure threshold, dermatitis, rash, hyperprolactinemia, anticholinergic effects, pigmentary retinopathy, lenticular pigmentation, extrapyramidal reactions, neuroleptic malignant syndrome (monitor).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder