Generic Name and Formulations:
Norgestrel 0.3mg, ethinyl estradiol 30micrograms (21 tabs); inert (7 tabs).
Mayne Pharma US
Indications for LOW-OGESTREL:
1 tab daily for 28 days; repeat.
Thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders. History of DVT, cerebrovascular or coronary artery disease. Known or suspected breast carcinoma, endometrial or other estrogen-dependent neoplasia. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Cholestatic jaundice of pregnancy or jaundice with prior OC use. Hepatic adenoma or carcinoma. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Cigarette smoking increases risk of serious cardiovascular events.
Increased risk of cardiovascular events esp. in cigarette smokers >35yrs of age; not recommended. Discontinue if thrombotic event, unexplained visual changes, jaundice, or headache/migraine occurs, and at least 4 weeks before through 2 weeks after surgery associated with increased risk of thromboembolism, and during and after prolonged immobilization. Cardio- or cerebrovascular diseases. Gallbladder disease. Obesity. Diabetes. Prediabetes. Hypertriglyceridemia. Depression. Conditions aggravated by fluid retention; monitor. Evaluate significant changes in headaches, irregular uterine bleeding, amenorrhea, retinal vein thrombosis. Monitor BP. Do regular complete physical exams. May need barrier contraception with Sunday starts or postpartum use (see full labeling). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Progestin + estrogen.
Antagonized by hepatic enzyme inducing drugs (eg, rifampin, griseofulvin, St. John's wort), possibly others. May affect measurement of sex hormone-binding globulin levels.
Hypertension, nausea, vomiting, breakthrough bleeding, amenorrhea, transient delay of ovulation after discontinuation, edema, chloasma, mastodynia, headache, intolerance to contact lenses. Increased risk of gallbladder disease, thromboembolic disorders.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Associated With Depression in Young Adults
- Gestational Diabetes Associated With Increased Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Smartphone-Based Psychoeducational Programs May Be Effective for Bipolar Disorder Management