Generic Name and Formulations:
Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 1g; soft-gelatin caps; contains α-tocopherol 4mg/cap.
Indications for LOVAZA:
Adjunct to diet to reduce very high (≥500mg/dL) triglyceride levels in adults.
Swallow whole. ≥18yrs: 4g daily; may take as 4g once daily or as 2g twice daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Hepatic impairment: monitor AST/ALT periodically. Obtain baseline triglycerides (TG); monitor TG, LDL-C periodically. Exclude and/or treat secondary causes of hypertriglyceridema (eg, hypothyroidism, diabetes, medications). Paroxysmal or persistent atrial fibrillation. Fish allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate anticoagulants; monitor.
Eructation, dyspepsia, rash, taste perversion; increased ALT, AST, LDL-C.
Formerly known under the brand name Omacor.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age