Generic Name and Formulations:
Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 1g; soft-gelatin caps; contains α-tocopherol 4mg/cap.
Indications for LOVAZA:
Adjunct to diet to reduce very high (≥500mg/dL) triglyceride levels in adults.
Swallow whole. ≥18yrs: 4g daily; may take as 4g once daily or as 2g twice daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Hepatic impairment: monitor AST/ALT periodically. Obtain baseline triglycerides (TG); monitor TG, LDL-C periodically. Exclude and/or treat secondary causes of hypertriglyceridema (eg, hypothyroidism, diabetes, medications). Paroxysmal or persistent atrial fibrillation. Fish allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate anticoagulants; monitor.
Eructation, dyspepsia, rash, taste perversion; increased ALT, AST, LDL-C.
Formerly known under the brand name Omacor.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders