LOPRESSOR INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Metoprolol tartrate 5mg; soln for IV inj.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for LOPRESSOR INJECTION:
In stabilized patients after MI, to reduce mortality.
See literature. Early treatment: initially administer three 5mg IV bolus inj given at approximately 2-minute intervals; monitor BP, HR, ECG. If full IV dose (15mg) tolerable, give 50mg (tab) every 6 hours starting 15 mins after the last IV dose and continue for 48 hours, thereafter, give maintenance dose of 100mg (tab) twice daily; if full IV dose not tolerable, give 25–50mg (tab) every 6 hours starting 15 mins after the last IV dose or as soon as clinical condition allows; if severe intolerance: discontinue treatment. Late treatment: if early phase treatment is contraindicated, intolerable or delayed therapy needed, start with 100mg (tab) twice daily for at least three months.
Significant 1st degree heart block. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Systolic pressure<100mmHg or heart rate <45 beats/min. Moderate-to-severe cardiac failure.
Avoid abrupt discontinuation in ischemic heart disease.
CHF. Monitor heart rate and rhythm; reduce or stop treatment if severe bradycardia develops. Bronchospastic disease. Hepatic dysfunction. Diabetes. Pheochromocytoma. Hyperthyroidism. Surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Bradycardia with catecholamine-depleting drugs. May be potentiated by potent CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine, paroxetine, bupropion, thioridazine, quinidine, propafenone, ritonavir, diphenhydramine, hydroxychloroquine, terbinafine, cimetidine), hydralazine, inhalation anesthetics. Increased risk of bradycardia with concomitant digitalis. May block epinephrine. Increased rebound hypertension with clonidine withdrawal. May enhance vasoconstrictive action of ergots. Withhold before dipyridamole testing.
Fatigue, dizziness, depression, hypotension (discontinue if occurs), diarrhea, rash, dyspnea, bradycardia, cold extremities, palpitations, CHF, peripheral edema, bronchospasm, heart block.
Tabs—100; Ampuls (5mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age