Lithium carbonate capsules Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Lithium carbonate 150mg, 300mg, 600mg.
Roxane Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for Lithium carbonate capsules:
Mania in bipolar disorder.
Individualize. Acute mania: 600mg 3 times daily. Usual maintenance: 300mg 3 or 4 times daily.
Renal or cardiovascular disease, concomitant diuretics, sodium depletion, severely debilitated or dehydrated: not recommended (if necessary, use low doses, monitor serum lithium levels daily, hospitalize).
Seizure disorders. Maintain adequate fluid and salt intake, esp. with fever, sweating, diarrhea, or infection. Monitor serum lithium levels frequently (toxic and therapeutic levels are close); draw blood for serum tests 8–12 hrs after previous dose. Monitor thyroid, renal function. Discontinue if diarrhea, vomiting, tremor, ataxia, drowsiness or weakness occur. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Lithium toxicity potentiated by diuretics, ACE inhibitors, angiotensin II receptor blockers, carbamazepine, indomethacin, piroxicam (possibly other NSAIDs, including COX-2 inhibitors), metronidazole, calcium channel blockers: monitor and adjust lithium dose, if needed. Discontinue if signs of neurologic toxicity occur with neuroleptics (eg, haloperidol). Xanthines, acetazolamide, urea, alkalinizing agents may reduce serum lithium levels. Fluoxetine has variable effects on serum lithium levels. Prolongs effects of neuromuscular blockers. Hypothyroidism with chronic iodide administration. Serotonin syndrome with SSRIs.
Polyuria, polydipsia, drowsiness, tremor, hypothyroidism, extrapyramidal symptoms, GI upset, renal toxicity, seizures, arrhythmias, hypotension, lethargy, metallic taste, dry mouth, blurred vision, pseudotumor cerebri (discontinue if occurs).
Caps 150mg, 600mg—100; Caps 300mg—100, 1000; Tabs 300mg—100, 1000; Soln—500mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children