Generic Name and Formulations:
Fenofibrate 50mg, 150mg; caps.
Kowa Pharmaceuticals America, Inc.
Indications for LIPOFEN:
Adjunct to diet when response to nondrug therapy is inadequate in hypertriglyceridemia (Types IV and V), and to reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, apo B, and TG, and to increase HDL-C, in primary hypercholesterolemia and mixed dyslipidemia (Type IIa and IIb).
Take with food. Hypertriglyceridemia: 50–150mg/day, adjust at 4–8 week intervals; max 150mg/day. Hypercholesterolemia, dyslipidemia: 150mg/day. Renal impairment or elderly: initially 50mg/day. Discontinue if inadequate response after 2 months on max dose.
Hepatic dysfunction. Primary biliary cirrhosis. Severe renal dysfunction. Gallbladder disease.
Renal impairment. Monitor CBCs for first year; monitor liver function; discontinue if ALT (SGPT) levels >3xULN persist. Discontinue if markedly elevated CPK levels, myopathy, gallstones, or severely depressed HDL levels occur. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid statins. Potentiates oral anticoagulants (reduce anticoagulant dose and monitor PT/INR). Allow at least 1 hour before or 4–6 hours after bile acid sequestrants. Caution with immunosuppressants (eg, cyclosporine, tacrolimus), colchicine, other nephrotoxic drugs.
Abnormal liver function tests, elevated CPK, respiratory or GI effects, myopathy, cholelithiasis, pancreatitis, rash; rare: rhabdomyolysis, transient hematologic changes, blood dyscrasias.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders