Lindane Shampoo Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Lindane Shampoo:
Treatment of head or pubic lice in patients who have failed on, or are intolerant of, other therapies. Not for prophylactic use.
Adults and Children:
Treat once only. Use least amount to cover hair. <110lbs: not recommended. ≥110lbs: average hair length: 30mL; max 60mL. Apply to clean dry hair, work in thoroughly, leave on for 4mins only. Add small amount of warm water; lather; rinse immediately. Avoid contact with other body surfaces.
Uncontrolled seizure disorders. Premature infants. Norwegian (crusted) scabies, other skin conditions (eg, eczema, psoriasis, broken skin) that may increase absorption.
Potential CNS toxicity if absorbed. Children, infants, elderly, patients <110lbs: increased neurotoxicity risk. Seizure risk (eg, history of head trauma, prior seizures, CNS tumor, HIV infection, hepatic cirrhosis, abrupt alcohol/sedative withdrawal). Itching may occur or worsen after successful treatment; do not retreat. Avoid eyes. Do not swallow or misuse. Pregnancy (Cat.C), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Systemic absorption and toxicity may be increased by oils, creams, ointments. Caution with drugs that lower seizure threshold (eg, antipsychotics, antidepressants, quinolones, theophylline, cyclosporine).
Irritation, post-treatment pruritus, CNS stimulation (eg, dizziness, convulsions).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age