Lindane Lotion Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Lindane Lotion:
Treatment of scabies in patients who have failed on, or are intolerant of, other therapies. Not for prophylactic use.
Adults and Children:
Treat once only. Use least amount to cover body. <110lbs: not recommended. ≥110lbs: average size adult: 30mL; larger adult: max 60mL. Apply sparingly to dry skin; leave on for 8–12 hours then wash off thoroughly.
Uncontrolled seizure disorders. Premature infants. Norwegian (crusted) scabies, other skin conditions (eg, eczema, psoriasis, broken skin) that may increase absorption.
Potential CNS toxicity if absorbed. Children, infants, elderly, patients <110lbs: increased neurotoxicity risk. Seizure risk (eg, history of head trauma, prior seizures, CNS tumor, HIV infection, hepatic cirrhosis, abrupt alcohol/sedative withdrawal). Itching may occur or worsen after successful treatment; do not retreat. Avoid eyes. Do not swallow or misuse. Pregnancy (Cat.C), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Systemic absorption and toxicity may be increased by oils, creams, ointments. Caution with drugs that lower seizure threshold (eg, antipsychotics, antidepressants, quinolones, theophylline, cyclosporine).
Irritation, post-treatment pruritus, CNS stimulation (eg, dizziness, convulsions).
Formerly known under the brand names Gamene, Kwell, Scabene.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age