Lidocaine Jelly Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Lidocaine HCl 2%; aqueous.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Lidocaine Jelly:
Anesthesia in procedures of urethra, painful urethritis. Anesthesic lubricant for endotracheal intubation.
Adults and Children:
Sepsis. Traumatized mucosa. Severe shock. Heart block. Monitor for familial malignant hyperthermia (eg, tachycardia, tachypnea). Avoid eyes. Do not eat for 1 hour after oral application. Children, elderly, debilitated, acutely ill: reduce dose. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
CNS effects (eg, dizziness, visual disturbances, tremor, respiratory depression), bradycardia, hypotension.
Formerly known under the brand name Xylocaine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children