Generic Name and Formulations:
Chlordiazepoxide HCl 5mg, 10mg, 25mg; caps.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for LIBRIUM:
Individualize. Mild-to-moderate: 5–10mg 3–4 times daily. Severe: 20–25mg 3–4 times daily. Elderly or debilitated: 5mg 2–4 times daily.
<6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: 5mg 2–4 times daily. May increase to 10mg 2–3 times daily.
Risks from concomitant use with opioids; see Interactions. Therapy for >4 months. Suicidal tendencies. Depression. Psychosis. Porphyria. Seizure disorder. Monitor blood counts and liver function. Reevaluate periodically. Abuse potential (monitor). Drug or alcohol abuse. Avoid abrupt cessation. Change dose gradually. Renal or hepatic impairment. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (during the 1st trimester), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased sedation, respiratory depression, coma, and death with concomitant opioids; reserve use in those for whom alternative treatment options are inadequate; if needed, limit dosages/durations to minimum and monitor. Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Variable effects with anticoagulants. Avoid other psychotropics.
Drowsiness, CNS depression, ataxia, confusion, paradoxical excitement, memory impairment, nausea, constipation, blood dyscrasias, jaundice, skin eruptions, edema, extrapyramidal effects.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders