Generic Name and Formulations:
Chlordiazepoxide HCl 5mg, 10mg, 25mg; caps.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for LIBRIUM:
Individualize. Mild-to-moderate: 5–10mg 3–4 times daily. Severe: 20–25mg 3–4 times daily. Elderly or debilitated: 5mg 2–4 times daily.
<6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: 5mg 2–4 times daily. May increase to 10mg 2–3 times daily.
Risks from concomitant use with opioids; see Interactions. Therapy for >4 months. Suicidal tendencies. Depression. Psychosis. Porphyria. Seizure disorder. Monitor blood counts and liver function. Reevaluate periodically. Abuse potential (monitor). Drug or alcohol abuse. Avoid abrupt cessation. Change dose gradually. Renal or hepatic impairment. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (during the 1st trimester), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased sedation, respiratory depression, coma, and death with concomitant opioids; reserve use in those for whom alternative treatment options are inadequate; if needed, limit dosages/durations to minimum and monitor. Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Variable effects with anticoagulants. Avoid other psychotropics.
Drowsiness, CNS depression, ataxia, confusion, paradoxical excitement, memory impairment, nausea, constipation, blood dyscrasias, jaundice, skin eruptions, edema, extrapyramidal effects.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder