Generic Name and Formulations:
Chlordiazepoxide HCl 5mg, clidinium bromide 2.5mg; caps.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for LIBRAX:
Adjunct in peptic ulcer. Irritable bowel syndrome. Acute enterocolitis.
Individualize. Usually 1–2 caps 3–4 times daily before meals and at bedtime. Elderly or debilitated: max 2 caps daily initially, then may increase gradually.
Glaucoma. GI or GU obstruction.
Risks from concomitant use with opioids; see Interactions. Monitor for paradoxical reactions. Depression. Suicidal tendencies (monitor). Hepatic and renal impairment. Obtain LFTs and blood counts periodically in prolonged use. Drug or alcohol abuse. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy; avoid during the first trimester. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased sedation, respiratory depression, coma, and death with concomitant opioids; reserve use in those for whom alternative treatment options are inadequate; if needed, limit dosages/durations to minimum and monitor. Additive CNS depressant effects with alcohol or other CNS depressants. Concomitant other psychotropic agents (eg, MAOIs, phenothiazines): not recommended. Increased constipation with concomitant other spasmolytic agents and/or a low residue diet. May rarely interfere with oral anticoagulants.
Benzodiazepine + anticholinergic.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic effects (eg, dry mouth, blurred vision, urinary hesitancy, constipation), ataxia, confusion; rare: jaundice, blood dyscrasias.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records