Generic Name and Formulations:
Levothyroxine sodium 25mcg, 50mcg (dye-free), 75mcg, 88mcg, 100mcg, 112mcg, 125mcg, 137mcg, 150mcg, 175mcg, 200mcg; scored tabs.
Indications for LEVOXYL:
Take in AM on empty stomach. Hypothyroidism: 1.7mcg/kg once daily. >50yrs, or <50yrs with cardiovascular disease: initially 25–50mcg once daily; titrate in increments of 12.5–25mcg every 6–8 weeks. Elderly with cardiovascular disease: initially 12.5–25mcg once daily; titrate in increments of 12.5–25mcg every 4–6 weeks. Usual max 200mcg/day. Severe hypothyroidism: initially 12.5–25mcg once daily; titrate in increments of 25mcg/day every 4 weeks. Subclinical hypothyroidism, secondary or tertiary hypothyroidism: see literature.
Give once daily on empty stomach. May crush tabs and mix in 5–10mL water. Hypothyroidism: 0–3months: 10–15mcg/kg per day; 3–6months: 8–10mcg/kg per day; 6–12months: 6–8mcg/kg per day; 1–5yrs: 5–6mcg/kg per day; 6–12yrs: 4–5mcg/kg per day; >12yrs: 2–3mcg/kg per day; growth and puberty complete: as adult. Chronic or severe hypothyroidism: initially 25mcg/day; titrate in increments of 25mcg every 4 weeks. Infants with serum T4<5mcg/dL: initially 50mcg/day.
Uncorrected adrenal insufficiency. Untreated thyrotoxicosis. Acute MI.
Not for treatment of obesity or infertility. Cardiovascular disease. Seizures. Adrenocortical insufficiency. Increased sensitivity in severe hypothyroidism. Autonomous thyroid tissue. Myxedema coma: use IV levothyroxine. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat. A); do not discontinue due to pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
See literature. Absorption reduced by some foods (e.g., soy, fiber), aluminum and magnesium hydroxide, simethicone, calcium carbonate, sodium polystyrene sulfonate, bile acid sequestrants, iron, sucralfate (give at least 4 hrs apart). Potentiates, and is potentiated by, tri- and tetracyclic antidepressants, sympathomimetics. Antagonized by hepatic enzyme inducers (e.g., carbamazepine, phenytoin, phenobarbital, rifampin), sertraline. Antagonizes digoxin. Marked hypertension and tachycardia with ketamine. Estrogens affect thyroid function tests. Monitor oral anticoagulants, antidiabetic agents, theophylline.
Hyperthyroidism, decreased bone mineral density, transient alopecia; seizures (rare); pseudotumor cerebri in children.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder