Generic Name and Formulations:
Clofazimine 50mg; soft gel caps.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for LAMPRENE:
Lepromatous leprosy, including dapsone-resistant, and/or complicated by erythema nodosum leprosum.
Take with meals. Dapsone-sensitive: 100mg daily with 2 other antileprosy drugs for ≥2 years until skin smears negative, then use antileprosy monotherapy. Dapsone-resistant: 100mg daily with ≥1 other antileprosy drug for 3 years, then 100mg daily as monotherapy. Erythema nodosum: 100–200mg daily in combination with baseline antileprosy treatment and steroids as clinically indicated; if administered at 200mg dose, taper to 100mg as soon as possible; see full labeling.
Abdominal obstruction and other GI disorders (eg, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea); if occurs, consider reducing dose, increasing dosing interval, or discontinuing. QT prolongation: monitor ECGs. Psychological effects of skin discoloration: monitor for depression or suicidal ideation. Elderly. Pregnancy; verify status prior to initiation. Females of reproductive potential should use effective contraception and males (condoms) during treatment and for at least 4 months after completion. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Dapsone may inhibit antiinflammatory activity. Concomitant with other QT prolonging drugs or with bedaquiline may cause additive QT prolongation.
Skin and body fluid discoloration (conjunctivae, tears, urine, fecal, sputum, or sweat), ichthyosis, dryness, rash, pruritus, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, GI intolerance, abdominal/epigastric pain; elevated blood glucose or ESR; QT prolongation, Torsades de Pointes.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease