Lactulose solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Lactulose 10g/15mL; soln; for oral or rectal administration.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Lactulose solution:
Prevention and treatment of portal-systemic encephalopathy, including the stages of hepatic pre-coma and coma.
Oral: 30–45mL 3–4 times daily; may adjust dose every day or two to produce 2–3 soft stools daily. Hourly doses of 30–45mL may be used to induce rapid laxation initially; when laxative effect has been achieved, reduce dose to recommended daily dose. Maintenance: continue recommended daily dose. Rectal: may be given as a retention enema via a rectal balloon catheter. Mix 300mL of lactulose solution with 700mL of water or physologic saline, retain for 30–60 minutes. May repeat every 4–6 hours; if evacuated too promptly, may be repeated immediately. Start oral route before stopping enema entirely.
Oral: Individualize dose to produce 2–3 soft stools daily. Infants: initially 2.5–10mL in divided doses. Older children and adolescents: 40–90mL/daily. If initial dose causes diarrhea, reduce dose immediately; discontinue if diarrhea persists.
Patients who require a low galactose diet.
Perform thorough bowel cleansing with non-fermentable solution prior to electrocautery procedures during proctoscopy or colonoscopy. Diabetes. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant laxatives. Caution with concomitant oral anti-infectives (eg, neomycin); monitor closely. May be antagonized by non-absorbable antacids.
Gas, cramping, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting; infants: also hyponatremia, dehydration.
Formerly known under the brand names Cephulac, Chronulac, Evalose.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder