Splenomegaly with platelet sequestration
Increased platelet destruction by an immune mechanism; can occur as a result of:
Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT)
Idiopathic or immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)
Drug (other than heparin)-induced thrombocytopenia
Post-transfusion purpura (PTP)
Increased platelet destruction by non-immune mechanisms, as caused by:
Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS)
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP)
Decreased platelet production most often occurs after exposure to drugs (e.g., chemotherapeutic agents) that suppress synthesis of new platelets or by infiltration of the marrow by tumor or other structures.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Platelet count establishes presence or absence of thrombocytopenia; 100,000 functional platelets/µL is usually considered adequate for any challenge to hemostasis.
Workup for DIC:
D-dimer or FDP
Peripheral blood smear to check for schistocytes
Test for HIT:
Most often available is ELISA for antibody to platelet factor 4/heparin complex
ITP is a diagnosis of exclusion.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Family History of Psychiatric Disorders an Important Predictor of Postpartum Psychiatric Illness
- Antidepressant Use May Be Linked With Sustained Risk for Weight Gain
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy Effective for Treating PTSD in Veterans, First Responders
- Substance Abuse and Primary Psychosis: A Closer Look
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Cannabidiol Not Associated With Improvement in Chronic Schizophrenia
- Methadone Maintenance Therapy Associated With Greater Access to Physician Care in HCV-Positive Drug Users
- New Dimensions in Psychopathy: Are There Cultural Differences in Psychopaths?
- Addressing Psychiatric Comorbidities in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases
- Exploring the Link Between Persistent Infection, Inflammation, and Mood Disorders
- CDC: No Change in Level of Uninsured in US in 2017
- Benefit of Behavioral Activation During TMS for Major Depressive Disorder